Sunday 5 January 2014

DIY #1 - Recreation of Maison Martin Margiela X Converse Sneakers

DIY #1 MAISON MARTIN MARGIELA X CONVERSE



After the iconic and unforgetable collaboration of Maison Martin Margiela with G-shock, here comes the second collaboration with Converse. For the first time, the avant-garde French house Maison Martin Margiela teamed up with Converse Inc. to release a collection of Chuck Taylor All Star and the Jack Purcell sneakers each hand painted with the Maison's iconic white paint.  Why white ? “The Maison has always been obsessed with white; it is used as a layer to give an incognito feeling. A sort of poetry, with the passage of time, the shoe asserts itself,” says Maison Martin Margiela. The sneaker reveals its colour and personality through natural wear and aging, making each pair unique to the owner's footsteps. These sneakers were launch in September 20th 2013 , set for a retail price of $200 USD.






I started off with a pair North Star black shoes I recently bought at BATA for RM 34.99 ( approximately USD 12 ) and basically just coat it with white paint. I'd recommend a good 3 layers of paint plus additional layer to fill up some thin surface, I've painted the whole shoe including the bottom part as well. The following will show you the process of creating the Margiela X Converse shoe

Black North Star, Size 10






Let it dry before applying the second coat & then third coat, after finished, leave it to dry completely


the next day...
The finished product 



Natural cracks 



P.S. Do not paint the shoe laces, I painted mine coz I wanted them to be white, but it turned out to be stiff and hard, they couldn't fit through the shoe laces' holes so I had to use an alternative ones from my school shoes.

The whole process took me 2 days to complete everything, it was a messy but fun DIY .

Comment below for any enquiry. Send / tweet me photos of your finished product, I'd love to see them.
 GOOD LUCK TRYING OUT !


Update - 29th April

Here are some pictures of the shoe after some wearing. Sorry for the coffee stains, I wore them to work and I spilled some coffee while making coffee art.








Photo by : Wen Cong & I 


Photo courtesy of Maison Martin Margiela & Converse

5 comments:

  1. hi nice work --- just wondering what paint brand you are using? Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nash

      Sorry for the late reply. thank you ! the paint i used was Maxilite Plus. any matte paint will do actually

      Delete
  2. Do you have any update photos of how the shoes are looking after some wear?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi i was wondering, what are the materials of the shoes you used. Because i was interested in doing these with with regular canvas converses. But i wasn't quite sure it would achieve the effect you had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh damn, extremely late reply. yeah my shoes were exactly like converse. canvas body with rubber sole

      Delete